Thursday, February 5, 2015

35 weeks Gestation

Sunny days and gloomy days
only IV picture we took this week
 
Sorry its taken me so long to get on here and post week 35. Our lives over the past week have been full of craziness.
At the first of this week things were on a good roll. Blakelyn was taking bottles more and more and drinking the majority of them each time. The end was finally looking more bright....
THEN the we took a big step back. On the 27th I went down for the 8:00pm visit. The NICU all of a sudden was crazy busy. They had 20+ babies when the NICU's capacity is 16. They had double babies in one section and some in other rooms close by the NICU. The doctor was just getting done with his rounds and he said... "I know we don't have to worry anymore about Blakelyn!" Not even 5min after that I went to go and change her diaper. My heart dropped. Her stool had bright red mucus in it. I knew things weren't going to be good. I grabbed her nurse and she said "I Knew he was going to jinx her. Most of the time when we get busy and sick babies in the healthy ones for some reason get sick too." UGH
 Really???? What more we need to go through??
The doctor decided to put her feedings on hold, and order an x-ray of her intestines. The following morning (my birthday) the nurse called me letting know what happened over the night. They had done blood work and it didn't come back good. She had an elevated white blood cell count meaning another infection. Her x-ray didn't come back normal either. She had signs of gas in her intestines and early signs of NEC. Most cases NEC isn't fatal but if you don't catch it in time or if it is bad enough it can be fatal in tiny babies.
I thought we were on a good track to going home but guess this is apart of the road with having a micro preemie. In all reality we have had it pretty easy and not so many set backs compared to what it could be like. This is the worst birthday ever. Someone at my work helped make light of things. "You know Blakelyn loves being the center of attention, you think she was going to let you have one day to yourself?" I laughed through the tears. I knew that was true. That night I had a feeling we needed a little extra help from the man upstairs. I asked one of the pastors from church to come and pray over Blakelyn. We needed all the help and comfort we could get. When we come together in prayer as a group the outcome is greater. I am so grateful we have such a loving God, he definitely has great plans for Blakelyn and being her parents is the best thing that could happen to us.
On the 29th that afternoon we got another phone call this time from the doctor saying her hematocrit levels were low again and they needed to do a third blood transfusion. I guess when it rains it likes to pour in my life, it can never just sprinkle. She as already NPO (no feedings) we might as well add on another IV to the mess we are already in.
Once Friday came her blood work came back normal, healthy and her x-rays were also back to normal. FINALLY!!!!! Back to were we left off. They started to feed her little at a time and keep a close eye on things and cross fingers everything goes good.
Over those 3 days we had lots of worring, tears, prayers, and relief.

1 comment:

Moss' said...

Love you!! I was worried that something was wrong when you weren't posting. I'm so glad she's doing better!!